Firslty, there is credo http://marid.bioc.cam.ac.uk/credo a database set up in
the Blundell lab, that deals with protein ligand interactions. That might be of
interest.

Second, as more general points.

I see your point Shane, I'd argue there is no great value in trying to
distinguish artefacts from relevant ligands. Whether or not the
crystallographer perceives something as biologically relevant any binding
informs the community about the protein in some way.

For his use case, might it be better to consider what the student wants to
achieve with this work? For example using a minimum number of heavy atoms would
remove a lot of buffer molecules and all metals. The advantage of this being
you are now looking at all ligand like substances that a chemist might consider
working with.

If you then felt the need to get rid of say MES, then I think you would need to
justify that. Is it because it's too high concentration? Then I'd ban any
component above a certain concentration, if it's given to the PDB, but then I
think you're missing valuable data.

Or is it because it doesn't bind with any potency? Then I'd  pick only ligands
above a certain ligand efficiency, but that again would miss lots of data.

It might be interesting however, to compare the interactions found from those
two subsets, with that of the broader ligand world.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Anthony

On 11 Jun 2015, at 20:55, Shane Caldwell