Dear Bonsor!

You have very good suggestions from Amit with multiple solutions you could
try. In addition, I just want to add few more experiences facing with low
expression yield and/or no expression:

1. For protein with high number of predicted disulfide bonds, you may want
to try Origami strain which is specialized for rich disulfide protein
expression because it maintains the reduction environment in its cytoplasm.
2. Another possibility you could try is to express your protein in a fusion
form with a signal peptide (for example pelB in pET22b(+)) to secrete the
expression protein into the periplasm, that could help in several cases.
Fusion expression with some other protein may also help.
3. mRNA could be the cause of the problem. Did you check the overall GC
content in the mRNA and in some specific regions? If you find very low GC
content, i.e below 20%, in some regions, that could be the reason why the
mRNA was not stable and tended to degrade quickly after production.
4. If you do not have any problem with mRNA, then you could probably check
the secondary structure prediction. If the prediction suggests your protein
could have more than one domain, so protein may get degraded into different
part after expression. It happened to at least two proteins we were working
with that the expression did not yield the right size band on the gel. Then
the solution is to re-clone it with different truncated version (if
possible) to see if they behave better.
5. Try to gain as much as possible the biochemical properties of your
protein to let you identify (by different methods) a possible little
expression on the gel that you may have missed.

I hope this could give you some ideas for your problem.

Thanh N

--
Nguyen Hong Thanh, Ph.D. student