Dear all, thank you for the valuable inputs.

I realize that one important piece of information that must be added concerns
the relative orientation of the domain for which the electron density becomes
poor upon merging data towards higher symmetry, with respect to the rest of the
protein.

We have found that, at the monoclinic symmetry, this domain can be safely
located for 6 of the 20 monomers in the asymmetric unit.

By safely located, I mean that these 6 copies were automatically positioned by
Phaser and refined well throughout. On the other hand, for the remaining 14
copies, not even manual positioning worked.

At the tetragonal space group, neither of the 5 copies for this domain refine
well, after borderline MR solutions for 2 copies.

Therefore, based on your responses I understand that, while the indication of
twinning in P21 may be misleading, P42212 can be a case is a pseudo symmetry.

The intrinsic flexibility of this domain, as a rigid body, is however most
properly resolved in the P21 symmetry.

I will soon try refining again in P21 without imposing twinning. If the quality
of the electron density map for the domains is reproduced, with and Rfree in
the range of 30-ish%, this would be a more correct approach, right?

I will make sure I incorporate all you suggestions in this subsequent analysis.

As a matter of fact, xtriage concludes that twinning is not indicated or not
possible for the P42212 sg.

Thank you again and kind regards,

Andre.