Hi Tom et al.,

While probably unrelated, as a fresh graduate student we did one experiment
where we observed no diffraction signal at all - no beamstop shadow, solvent
ring etc. Being clever (we thought), we ran burn paper from the slits into the
hutch, then through the hutch step by step along the path, to the detector
position. We confirmed that the beam was indeed aligned, and when the beamstop
was removed, that the beam was getting to the large sheet of lead in front of
the detector. It was at that point, that the problem become obvious. We still
have about two centuries of burn paper left in the cold room!

In a second case we were working on a beamline on the west coast of the US.
Every crystal we put on vanished before we could even collect data - the loops
appeared empty as soon as we looked through the microscope (this sets the
decade). The beamline had an extra strong magnet on the goniometer and on
closer inspection we saw that the hutch wall next to the goniometer was
peppered with many crystals - they were being catapulted out of the loop when
the base 'flipped' onto the magnet. There were so many that others will know
this beamline.

Both are probably unrelated to what you observed, some crystals are just ghost
crystals, a term coined by George DeTitta I think. I'd love to know why myself.

If all else fails, grow more crystals - shameless plug http://getacrystal.org

A wonderful holiday season to all and may the new year be full of strongly
diffracting crystals and plenty of X-rays.

Best wishes,

Eddie

Edward Snell Ph.D.
President and CEO Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
Assistant Prof. Department of Structural Biology, University at Buffalo
700 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203-1102
http://hwi.buffalo.edu
Phone:     (716) 898 8631         Fax: (716) 898 8660
Skype:      eddie.snell                 Email: esn...@hwi.buffalo.edu
[cid:image001.png@01D25B9C.BD1AC640]
Heisenberg was probably here!