Dear CCP4BB members,

We would like to identify a ligand that is present in crystal structure
(according to strong positive densities at active site) but absent in
crystallization condition. We already have some candidates in mind based on our
knowledges on this protein but we need to validate further. The general method
we are using now is to use methanal to precipitate protein and extract ligand
from the precipitated protein. Then we analyse the methanol extraction sample
on LC-MS. One problem of this method is that the methanol extraction will not
be 100% efficient which means there is only a small portion of bound-ligand can
be extracted from the protein— particularly if the ligand binds very tightly to
the protein. So I would like to know whether anyone has experience to
efficiently extract tighly-bound ligands from protein for downstream analysis.
One method is to digest protein with protease such as trypsin. Or use urea to
denature the protein. However, these methods require relatively long processing
time which is not optimal when the ligand that we want to analyse is unstable
(degrade overtime). Anyone has more suggestions?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Wenhe