Hi Firdous,

The question, if I am understanding correctly, is to find the topology of the
regions of a membrane protein, that is cytoplasmic, membranous or
extra-cellular. You can do it by site directed cystine mutagenesis nearby to
the the preferred region/domain followed by MAL-PEG analysis. There are several
studies using this approach to find the topology of membrane protein.
You must put a tag like HA or 3XFLAG nearby to the domain/region.
Regarding the difficulties in expressing membrane protein, they are usually
toxic for cells in over-expressed condition. So, a careful approach would be
growing bacterial culture at lower temperature like 18 degree celcius and also
putting lower concentration of IPTG (0.1mM) as the final concentration in
culture (if it's a T7 based expression system).
Hope this helps.

Best!!

Debasish

CSIR- Senior Research Fellow (PhD Scholar)
C/o: Dr. Akash Ranjan
Computational and Functional Genomics Group
Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics
Hyderabad, INDIA

Email(s): dkgh...@cdfd.org.in, dgho...@gmail.com
Telephone: 0091-9088334375 (M), 0091-40-24749396 (Lab)
Lab URL: http://www.cdfd.org.in/labpages/computational_functional_genomics.html