Good evening,

Over the years I've seen great diffraction from any number of hideous
brittle plates with perforated edges, 'Krypton skyscrapers', curved
whiskers, 'hypodermic needles', even from crystals that looked like cat
vomit (hairballs), and so forth.

The structure *ab ovo* story is my favorite, though:

Similar to Debanu's case - we've had crystals (of a novel insecticidal
toxin) that were perfectly egg-shaped, and every one of them was the same
shape - regardless of differences in their size. I mounted them on a bet
with my colleagues and we were cracking all kinds of jokes about making
omelets with X-rays, and so forth - right until the very first egg
diffracted better than 1.6A and produced a lovely structure.

On top of this bit of weirdness, the only way these crystals could be grown
was by reductive methylation followed by proteolysis. Opposite order of
steps did not work, and each step in itself did not work.

This story brings to mind the hellish experience of polishing small
molecule crystals down to little balls in order to minimize absorption
effects (great, now I made myself feel old).

Artem

- Cosmic Cats approve of this message