Le 2018-09-19 11:59, Frank von Delft a écrit :

> I believe medicinal chemists do indeed talk about "enthalpic interactions".
> Frank

Not a good choice either (à mon avis ...)

THE REAL REASON WHY OIL AND WATER DON'T MIX

Todd P. Silverstein
Journal of Chemical Education 1998 _75_ (1), 116

DOI: 10.1021/ed075p116

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed075p116 [6]

Stefano

> On 19/09/2018 10:40, Stefano Trapani wrote:
>
> Le 2018-09-18 19:31, Daniel M. Himmel, Ph. D. a écrit :
>
> (where hydrophobic interactions result from van der Waals forces in an
> aqueous environment).
>
> Hi
>
> I am not sure that, if one is to give a concise definition of hydrophobic
> "interactions", this would be a convenient one, because it may lead someone
> to identify vdW forces as the main factor that maintains apolar aggregated
> molecules together in aqueous environment. I have seen many students (and
> PhD's) believing to the equality: hydrophobic 'forces'=vdW forces (and not
> understanding, for example, that the side chains of a Ser and an Ile can also
> establish vdW interactions).
>
> It is true that apolar groups that aggregate establish van der Waals
> interactions (like any molecule in contact with another one) but these
> microscopic (real) forces are not (as far as I know) the main reason of
> aggregation in aqueous environment.
>
> The hydrophobic effect seem to be of a mainly entropic nature (and it has
> much more to do with hydrogen bonds than van der Waals forces):
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrophobic_effect#Cause [2]
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropic_force#Hydrophobic_force [3]
>
> Being mainly of an entropic nature, hydrophobic "contacts" are not the direct
> result of real microscopic "forces" that act between apolar groups. The terms
> "forces" and "interactions" in widely used expressions like "hydrophobic
> forces" and "hydrophobic interactions" are somehow misleading.
>
> Best
>
> ---
> Stefano Trapani
>
> Maître de Conférences
> http://www.cbs.cnrs.fr/index.php/fr/personnel?PERS=Stefano%20Trapani [1]
> -------------------------------------
> Centre de Biochimie Structurale (CBS)
> 29 rue de Navacelles
> 34090 MONTPELLIER Cedex, France
>
> Tel : +33 (0)4 67 41 77 29
> Fax : +33 (0)4 67 41 79 13
> -------------------------------------
> Université de Montpellier
> CNRS UMR 5048
> INSERM UMR 1054
> -------------------------------------
>
> --
> dangerous content by MAILSCANNER [4], and is
> believed to be clean.

dangerous content by MAILSCANNER [4], and is
believed to be clean.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.cbs.cnrs.fr/index.php/fr/personnel?PERS=Stefano%20Trapani