Dear Matthew,

In my search for the validity of meta data, I went through several data sets in SBGrid and proteindiffraction.org (IRRMC), especially those where automatic processing did not succeed are gave different results with different processing software. We reprocessed those data sets with EVAL and located some issues with the meta data. Most of the problems are related to wrong or absent primary beam positions. SBGrid is very useful to find problematic data sets, since it lists four attempts to re-process the data.

Some interesting cases could be:
SBGrid:
373 automatic processing failed to see the crystal is C (or I)-centered monoclinic 254 unit cell no so easy to index and inaccurate (and therefore space group wrong) because of presence of a second and third lattice
426 beam center very wrong (has to be manually set)
415 another beam center problem; caused large errors in unit cell dimensions in automatic processing (only xia2-3dii has it right) 383 is a very challenging case; might be too complicated; at least two lattices amd C-centered orthorombic (which none of the automatic processing software found)

IRRMC
3m8t: apparent monoclinic C2 symmetry, but is in fact triclinic. Also a second smaller fragment present.
4i08: wrong beam center. Rotation direction may have to be reversed.

Store.Synchrotron:
public data set https://store.synchrotron.org.au/experiment/view/1037/ : one long unit cell axis: quite a challenge combined with inaccurate beam center.

Let me add: several initiatives exist or are on the way to publish and describe raw data of which the structure could not be solved due to all kinds of reasons: indexing fails, phase problem can not be solved, lots of additional reflections present, diffuse scattering. See progress report and references in there (http://forums.iucr.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=396) of the IUCr working group DDDWG, now continued as COMMDAT committee.

Best wishes,
Loes