Hi all,

Firstly, I’d like to say I’m really impressed with the volume, speed and detail
of the response that I have received. Thanks everyone.

Overloads
Eddie, Marc, Eleanor, Harry and Misha; thanks to all for suggesting collection
strategies and identifying the likely issue. Yesterday, I had a quick look at
the images and the lower-resolution reflections do look overexposed. Thanks for
the offer to check the images Graeme.

Weightings and anisotropic refinement
Wim, Matthias and Robbie; sorry I had forgotten to mention that I ran the
structure through pdbredo to optimise weights and already refined using
anistropic B-factors.

Resolution
Tony, I have tried to be objective with choosing the resolution. Recently I
have naively published some structures at a lower resolution than they are.
Now, I pretty much only use CC1/2 in the highest resolution shell to determine
the resolution of my dataset, i.e. 0.3<CC1/2<1
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4684713/ and
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3457925/), the AIMLESS output also
shows the individual CC1/2 for h, k and l. Lowering the resolution might give
nicer-looking refinement statistics but they are unrealistic. My frustration is
that a culture of doing this means that when someone does try to publish
something at its true resolution the statics will look worse than previously
published structures that claim to be at the same resolution.

Petri, I think it was the limit of the detector distance so I couldn’t collect
at a higher resolution :(

Thanks again,
Guto