I have long thought about developing an open-source crystallization robot
based on the now ubiquitous 3D printing linear motion systems. They are
certainly plenty precise for doing crystallization plating. Probably having
two heads, a 12-channel syringe system for screen dispensing and a second
head for sample dispensing. I'd thought that a non-contact sample dispenser
would be the way to go, but that significantly complicates it. Maybe even
an added bonus would be adding a USB microscope camera mount to the sample
carriage to do visualization.