For the last 150,000 years we've been using the Hampton THICK siliconized
coverslips - I'm told they're one of the many crystallization tricks/gizmos
that Alan D'Arcy invented.  We quite often recycle them - and I've never
seen any problems.  The thick ones are very easy to use because you can jam
your thumb down on them without any danger of either cutting your thumb or
losing your crystals.  Alan (or someone) told me that the original ones
were standard microscope (long) SLIDES cut into square sections by hand
with a glass cutter.  Hampton's are either round or square and some have
beautiful flame-polished edges.

A chemist told me that once you siliconize glass you can never get the
silane groups off again by any normal chemical means.  He didn't see any
need for eg rinsing with methanol and baking after treatment, which I had
been doing.

If recycling however the surface can become contaminated with grease and
denatured protein.  Either put them through a dishwasher (I've heard) or
rub them hard with something soft.

Thx, Patrick

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 17:14, Goldman, Adrian <adrian.gold...@helsinki.fi>
wrote:

> Yes, that was it! I just couldn’t remember the name.
>
> > On 31 Jan 2019, at 17:04, Mathews, Irimpan I. <
> 00002add487f8799-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Long back we used Prosil solution (I think,  1% solution) for
> siliconization.
> > Mathews

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Peter Baldock, Patrick Shaw Stewart

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36