Throwing my hat in with Artem's here -

Not only is there limited funding for (biological) crystallisation, there is
perhaps even less interest.

Some of the reason is that what we do now works much of the time, so why
actually think about things when another screen (or another construct) might do
the trick?

These are some of the things I ponder

  1.  As a community, we don't have a defined way of describing a single
crystallisation experiment - in fact, we don't even have a consistent way of
describing the crystallisation cocktail. Hell, we don't even have a consistent
<name> for the cocktail - (cocktail, crystallant, condition, well,
reservoir...). Imagine trying to solve a structure if you didn't know the file
formats, and just created your own each time?
  2.  How many people capture all the work they have done to produce a crystal?
How many drops? What drops? What temperatures? What constructs? etc. How many
laboratories with automation use it to help here How many actually describe
carefully what they did, rather than just put placefiller information into the
system to get images out?
  3.  How many fora are there for collecting crystallisation data so that we
could work out what works and what doesn't, even if only retrospectively?
(Right, we can't as we don't have a way of unambiguously describing an
experiment (point 1))
  4.  How many crystallographers use any of the prediction tools (except to put
lysozyme sequence into them and giggle at the result?)
  5.  How do we take the knowledge that we have about a few well studied
systems and make them applicable to a more general case?

Crystallisation was going to be 'solved' with the development of
high-throughput dispensing and imaging. Hasn't really worked so well has it?

We have been working for over a decade to try to clean up crystallisation
condition naming - you can see the results on the website c6.csiro.au. Once the
naming is cleaned up you can do all sorts of useful things - like find out
which of the over 300 commercial screens are the same!

It would be <great> if this discussion would bring about the push from the
community to ensure that journals and the PDB adopt a standard vocabulary for
crystallisation.

Janet

Janet Newman
Principal Scientist / Director, Collaborative Crystallisation Centre (C3)
CSIRO Material Science and Engineering
343 Royal Parade
Parkville.  VIC. 3052
Australia