From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of Edward Snell
Sent: Thursday, 9 January 2020 3:52 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Protein concentration for the initial crystallisation
trials

Hi Armando,

I echo Rodger’s advice at 10 mg/ml to start. Our high-throughput
crystallization lab has a FAQ page that notes this
https://hwi.buffalo.edu/high-throughput-crystallization-center/hts-faqs/ but we
absolutely recommend looking at conditions where the precipitant concentration
varies AND doing a screen with a different protein concentration if sample is
available. Both have considerable impact on outcome and the screens we use are
designed to provide information on this if they are interpreted correctly.
There are a lot of internal references available at
https://hwi.buffalo.edu/high-throughput-crystallization-center/crystallization-research/.
 I would recommend the “What’s in a drop?” paper.

If there are any homologous proteins that have been crystallized than those
conditions can be a good starting guide. There are some proteins that are far
more soluble than typical and can have concentrations almost an order of
magnitude greater and the occasional on an order of magnitude less. I don’t
remember an absolute study on this but I’m sure there must be as I vaguely
remember advice that was size related, smaller proteins requiring higher
concentration, larger ones less. This may jog someone’s memory to provide the
reference.

Forgive me for a blatant advertisement, but there is a very successful
crystallization screening service at http://getacrystal.org
that screens a large array of conditions in a manner to extract this kind of
information from them, provides visual, SONICC and UV imaging, and can study
the process at multiple temperatures (very useful from a solubility point of
view and preserving samples that may be more transient).  We hope to implement
MARCO (https://marco.ccr.buffalo.edu/) very soon (which has to be added to the
reference list – we slipped up there) so you don’t even need to look at all the
images. This is a machine vision system we have been developing with many
collaborators – it works!
(https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0198883).

As Janet Newman so elegantly said recently, may your New Year Resolutions be
high.

Best,

Eddie

Edward Snell Ph.D.

Director of the NSF BioXFEL Science and Technology Center
President and CEO Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
BioInnovations Chaired Professorship, University at Buffalo, SUNY
700 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203-1102
hwi.buffalo.edu
Phone:       (716) 898 8631         Fax: (716) 898 8660
Skype:        eddie.snell                 Email:
esn...@hwi.buffalo.edu<mailto:esn...@hwi.buffalo.edu>
Webpage: https://hwi.buffalo.edu/scientist-directory/snell/
[cid:image002.png@01D5C6D4.DD9518C0]
Heisenberg was probably here!