Hi Colin,
Neutrons are applied to the uranyl hydrides so as to make their scattering
lengths much more equal than with X-rays, and so side step ripple effects of
the uranium in the Xray case, which obscures those nearby hydrogens.
In terms of feature resolvability the email exchange (and there may be better
ones):- http://www.phenix-online.org/pipermail/phenixbb/2017-March/023326.html
refers to “locally scaled in a complex way”. So, is the physics of the
visibility of features really comparable between the two methods of cryoEM and
crystal structure analysis?
Greetings,
John
Emeritus Professor John R Helliwell DSc