From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK<mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>>
On Behalf Of Marin van Heel
Sent: 17 February 2020 13:29
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK<mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] [3dem] Which resolution?

Dear Petrus Zwart (and all other X-ray crystallographers and EM-ers)

Resolution in the sense of the Abbe Diffraction Limit or the Rayleigh Criterion
are part of what we would now call the theory of linear systems, and are
described by a “transfer function”. “Fourier Optics” covers the theory of
linear systems in Optics. These two (essentially identical) resolution criteria
state that the smallest details (let us call that “A(r)” for “Airy”) you can
possible observe in real-space is inversely proportional to the size of the
maximum aperture in Fourier space, i.e., the extent of the transfer function in
Fourier space “T(f)”. This defines what “Instrumental Resolution” one could
possibly achieve in an experiment, “instrumental” to differentiate it from the
“Results Resolution” you actually managed achieve in your data
collection/processing experiment [#Why-o-Why #10].  What a linear imaging
system will do the image of the object (under the best of circumstances) is
described by a (Fourier-space) multiplication of the Fourier transform of the
object O(r) [= O(f)] with the (Fourier-space) transfer function T(f) of the
instrument, yielding O’(f), which you need to transfer back to real space to
obtain the exit wave in the image plane; that is: {O’(f)=T(f)·O(f)}.

Note, however, that the properties of the sample, that is, of O(r), does
nowhere appear in the transfer function T(f) or in its real-space version A(r)!
  The very concept of (instrumental) resolution is exactly that it does NOT
depend on the object O(r)! The “results resolution” [#Why-o-Why #10], on the
other hand, obviously depends on the sample; the illumination; on the radiation
dose; the pH of the solvent; the air humidity; and the mood of the person doing
the work on the day of preparation…

The FRC/FSC “results resolution” measures we introduced in 1982/1986, fit
perfectly in the abstract framework of linear systems and Fourier optics. The
X-ray metrics like R-factor and phase-residuals and FOMs do NOT fit into that
clean mathematical framework. Unfortunately, my EM colleagues started using
X-ray metrics like “Differential Phase Residual” and “FOMs” in EM based on some
gut feeling that the X-ray scientists know it better because they achieve a
higher resolution than us EM blobologists. How wrong my EM colleagues were: the
quality of the resolution metric is totally unrelated to the numerical
resolution levels we operate at! Seeing 3mm kidney stones in a patient’s
tomogram can be equally important as seeing some hydrogen bond length in a
cryo-EM density. The FRC/FSC actually make more sense than the indirect and
hybrid X-ray ones.  This misconception has introduced a very tainted – and
still ongoing – discussion in cryo-EM. Now that the fields of X-ray
crystallography and cryo-EM are merging it is time to get things right!

I guess I cannot yet terminate my #Why-o-Why didactical crusade:  I will need
at least one more on just this linear-transfer theory issue alone…

Marin van Heel, CNPEM/LNNano, Campinas, Brazil

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM Petrus Zwart