Hello all,

I am nearly finished refining the structures of two mutant proteins from
crystals that diffracted to very high resolution, 1 Å and 1.2 Å, respectively.
Refinement was conducted in the presence of explicit hydrogens on the models.
I am preparing to deposit these models into the PDB but am unsure about whether
to retain or remove the hydrogens for deposition.  On one hand, these hydrogens
were explicitly used during refinement, so that makes me want to keep them, but
on the other hand, they were added at theoretical positions by MolProbity’s
reduce tool for refinement and were not positioned on the basis of
experimentally observed electron density, so that makes me want to delete them
from the experimental model.  Which is the preferred option for this situation?

Thanks,
Matthew

---
Matthew J. Whitley, Ph.D.
Research Instructor
Department of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine