Hello,

I am wondering if pseudosymmetry can cause weak reflections that mimic the
doubling of one unit cell axis' length. Has anyone seen something like this
before?

 I am processing data from a small molecule sample collected with electron
diffraction from multiple crystals. For the b axis, it is not clear if the
length should be 10A or 20A. There are spots with the correct spacing for
b=20A, but every other spot seems weaker than the spots along k if I choose
b=10A (this extends beyond (0,k,0)). I am unable to phase the b=20 data. I
have solved this structure in P1 with b=10 and found four molecules in the
ASU and in P212121 with b=10 resulting in one molecule in the ASU. In P1,
three of the four molecules adopt the same conformation, but the fourth
molecule is in an alternate conformation that causes only ~1/2 of the
molecule to be consistent with the first three. In P212121 I see density
for part of this alternative conformation, but the full molecule in this
alternate conformation cannot pack properly in P212121. Based on these
results and some orthogonal data, I think I should refine the solution in
P1 with b=10. Does it seem reasonable that pseudosymmetry is causing these
weak reflections along k hinting at a doubling of the b axis?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Jessica

--