Dear Vito,
We accumulated quite a good deal of knowledge of this type of complex, firstly
the platins, then later, led by Dr Alice Brink, rhenium complexes with
proteins. This review describes some of this:-
https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/mt/c7mt00219j#!divAbstract
The flattening of electron density that you refer to was not an issue but does
become a problem though with uranyl hydrides (not involving proteins to my
knowledge), solved by using neutrons, work led by the late Prof Bob Bau.
Exchange of the ligands in the often quite complex biochemical mix of a protein
crystal can be more challenging to decipher however. Chlorine versus ammine in
platins can be distinguished with high enough resolution data but confounded at
lower resolution. Sharing of raw diffraction data has proved very informative
and by sharing all of our raw data in the platins new improved details have
been squeezed out, with Prof Kay Diederichs leading us and also through Dr Ivan
Shabalin and colleagues‘ helpful and expert work, in a very broad study, we
learnt more about our platins and stimulated us in yet more detailed analyses
with Dr Loes Kroon-Batenburg and Dr Toine Schreurs in Utrecht.
It is all a most interesting topic especially given the wide medicinal roles of
these heavy metals which “must bind somewhere in us”, and not only used as
tools for solving our phase problem!
Best wishes,
John
Emeritus Professor John R Helliwell DSc