I remember we discussed this a lot about a year ago when Ed Berry revived a
thread from 2003!
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa-jisc.exe?A2=ind1905&L=CCP4BB&O=D&P=72099

I think the upshot of it all was that you do not need to use shells even with
quite high NCS since Ian Tickle rightly persuaded us that over-fitting is due
to measurement errors and there is no reason to expect these to be correlated
for NCS-related reflections. However, as you have probably found out by now,
you can make an R-free set in shells using the reflection file editor in
phenix. From memory you may also need to make sure that you use a CCP4-style
R-free flag (i.e. the free-set reflections should be flagged zero) if you are
going to use Refmac. There's a screenshot here:
http://u.cubeupload.com/jbcooper/202006160114071280x8.png

Hope this helps!    On Monday, 15 June 2020, 17:42:15 BST, Eleanor Dodson