Dear Paul,

Thanks for the detailed response. The reason for me being a bit annoyed is
really simple: basic model building did work well in coot 0.8.x and (for me and
others) it does not work anymore in coot 0.9. Because I like coot (and because
most computer problems are usually 30cm in front of the screen) I have tried to
get used to it for a few month, but on the weekend I have switched back to coot
0.8 *  –>  problem(s) solved, what a relief.

I realize that I have not been particularly helpful in bug-fixing, but the
changes appear to be rather comprehensive and thus I can only comment on the
user experience. This is (naturally) a subjective experience but what I hear
from my colleagues tells me that I am not alone with my frustration.

Try to look at it from my point of view:
-       the previous version of coot does what I want,
-       I see few advantages of the new version,
-       the basic functionality (that I am used to) appears to be gone in the
new version.

Since I am not convinced - why should I switch ?

Best regards,

Eike

* thanks to Bill Scott for the pre-compiled mac-binaries
http://scottlab.ucsc.edu/xtal/wiki/index.php/Stand-Alone_Coot