Dear Paul,

sorry for the delay.

I did not answer your previous questions in detail, because going back to coot
0.8 did solve the problem for me, which kept me busy. But of course, to do sth.
about the situation you need to understand a lot better what is going on.

What I have is a “phenotype” (coot 0.9) that presents differently than the
previous generation (coot 0.8) and since it’s not possible for me to revert any
of the mutations its hard to pinpoint the cause of the problem. The most
general description I can come up with: in coot 0.9 the model moves “funny” –
different from coot 0.8. Some (new?) restraints seem to act on the atoms
preventing them to stay where I put them. This "hidden-thinking" coot 0.9
appears to apply confuses me.

*I don’t think this description is a major improvement from before, maybe
someone else (Georg?, Eleanor? Herman?) can give it a try?

However, I have a hunch that the root of our communication trouble is that the
way you and I are using coot is very different. Therefore, I think it maybe
best if (a) I told you how I use it most of the time and (b) provide you with a
specific example (off-list). Maybe you can reproduce the trouble if you follow
my procedure.

Staying in the picture of your Ferrari/bus metaphor, I think I am probably
walking to work:

I am predominantly using the real-space refine options, going through the
structure bit by bit, putting the model where (I think) it belongs. I also make
use of the stepped-refine procedure, but I know more than one colleague who
considers that “cheating” already or do not know about that option at all. Of
course, I am making use of the validation, measurement, map and model tools,
but hardly of any automation (§). No special key-binding, no scripts - just out
of the box, default settings, iterative cycles with refinement. That may not be
what you have intended, but the people in my echo chamber just do the same.

Eigen-flip, jiggle-fit, pepflip, JED-flip, backrub, interactive contact dots,
acedrg – sorry I’ve never heard of them.

You mentioned a blog and/or other coot info before. With coot 0.9 I tried
finding more information but your coot-website and the included tutorials
appear to be a bit older https://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/pemsley/coot/.

Is there a new source of info somewhere? - I am happy to look into it.

Best,

Eike

§ automatic building of alternate conformations for HR-structures would be
really helpful though.