Dear all,

Coming back to map blurring...

> On 24 Nov 2020, at 16:41, John R Helliwell <jrhelliw...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jrhelliw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> [...] Coot’s blurring and sharpening tool is tethered directly to one’s
> measured diffraction data.
> [...] But, I have just rechecked the Coot manual and see no reference.

The use of Coot's blurring tool is briefly recommended in the context of ligand
binding analysis on page 12 of this publication:
https://doi.org/10.1107/S2059798316020143
<https://doi.org/10.1107/S2059798316020143>. This is so useful in cryo-EM that
the technique of simultaneously viewing multiple maps with different levels of
blurring/sharpening as a visual confirmatory aid has become routine
(https://doi.org/10.1107/S2059798318007313
<https://doi.org/10.1107/S2059798318007313>). More generally, map blurring can
be useful for exploring evidence for the presence of structure in the crystal
that is currently missing from the model in both MX and cryo-EM.

Regards,
Rob