Dear all,

I feel the need to respond following last week’s critique of the use of Coot’s
map blurring tool for providing diagnostic insight and aiding ligand
identification…

> On 24 Nov 2020, at 16:02, Dale Tronrud <de...@daletronrud.com
> <mailto:de...@daletronrud.com>> wrote:
>
> To me, this sounds like a very dangerous way to use this tool decide if a
> ligand has bound.  I would be very reluctant to modify my map with a range of
> arbitrary parameters until it looked like what I wanted to see.  The
> sharpening and blurring of this tool is not guided or limited by theory or
> data.

I disagree with this, subject to the important qualification that care is
needed with interpretation. Blurring isn't a crime - it merely involves
adjusting the weighting given to lower versus higher resolution reflections,
and thus allows relaxation of the choice of high-resolution limit, and
facilitates local investigation of regions that exhibit a poor signal-to-noise
ratio. This is particularly pertinent to liganded compounds, which are
typically present with sub-unitary occupancies.

Coot's blurring merely involves convolution of the whole map with an isotropic
3D Gaussian, with a parameter (B-factor) to control the standard deviation of
the Gaussian. This corresponds to reweighting the structure factors in order to
give higher weight to lower-resolution reflections. This approach is guided by
a very simple theory: higher resolution structure factors (SFs) are typically
noisier, with a worse signal-to-noise ratio than lower resolution SFs (due to
increased errors in both observed higher-resolution reflections and calculated
phases). Consequently, increasing the blurring B-factor reduces the effect of
the noisier higher-resolution SFs. This results in a map that should be more
reliable, but at the expense of reduced structural detail due to artificially
reducing the effective resolution.

It should be noted that this does assume that lower resolution reflections are
more reliable than higher resolution ones. So, good low-resolution data quality
and completeness is important.

Unfortunately, determination of an optimal B-factor parameter is not presently
automated. Consequently, users are currently expected to trial different values
in the Coot slider tool in order to maximise information and gain, for want of
a better word, intuition. Furthermore, due to the spatially heterogeneous
nature of atomic positional uncertainty in macromolecular complexes, it can be
that different B-factor parameters are of optimal usefulness in different local
regions of the map that exhibit different signal-to-noise ratios. Such issues
are on-going areas of research.

The main problem is that interpretation is subjective. In difficult cases, it
is necessary to obtain as much information and insight as possible in order to
gain a good intuition. If you can't see a ligand in the "standard" maps, but
you can see evidence for a ligand in blurred density (or difference density)
maps of the various types, then it means that careful exploration of those
avenues is required. Any "evidence" from viewing such maps and map types should
serve to guide intuition, and should be digested along with all other available
information. Such complementary maps should be seen as diagnostics to gain
intuition, rather than something that can be used as an unequivocal argument
for ligand binding.

Ultimately, the presence of significant density in a blurred map means that
there is something substantial present. Or in a blurred difference density that
there is something missing from the current model. This could be a missing
ligand, or it could be a mismodelled region of the macromolecule, or it could
be mismodelled solvent (in which case re-evaluating any solvent mask may be
worthwhile). Ultimately it is down to the practitioner to explore all potential
explanations for any such behaviour, in order to maximise intuition and
convince themselves of the crystal's structural composition.

In some cases the presence of density in a blurred map might be sufficient to
convince the practitioner that it is worth pursing investigation of binding.
This may take various forms: hypothesising an approximate pose for the ligand;
the nature of interactions in the structural environment of the macromolecule;
re-evaluation after modelling and refinement; or simply stating that there may
be evidence of binding. In many cases, the latter is the appropriate action,
and, as Robbie quite rightly pointed out: "in a scientific setting this digging
is not to come to a strong conclusion, but only to see if you should pursue the
project and do additional experiments".

> On 24 Nov 2020, at 16:02, Dale Tronrud <de...@daletronrud.com
> <mailto:de...@daletronrud.com>> wrote:
> [...] to avoid bias in the interpretation of the results, all of the
> statistical procedures are decided upon BEFORE the study is even began. This
> protocol is written down and peer reviewed at the start. Then the study is
> performed and the protocol is followed exactly.
> [...] I would recommend that you decide what sort of map you think is the
> best at showing features of your active site, based on the resolution of your
> data set and other qualities of your project, before you calculate your first
> Fourier transform.  If you think a Polder map is the bee's knees then
> calculate a Polder map and live with it.  If you are convinced of the value
> of a FEM, or a Buster map, or a SA omit map, or whatever, calculate that map
> instead and live with it.

I agree that such an approach would be more scientific, and I certainly find
this idea very appealing. Whilst I hesitate to speak against such a philosophy,
I feel it is necessary to temper/balance this view by pitching a
counterargument in the interests of pragmatism - in general it's just not that
practical. And perhaps propositions for revolution of best-practice policies
within the field should be distinct from current practical recommendation, in
the interests of avoiding potential confusion for the student/user who simply
wants a solution that they can apply to today's problems.
Whilst it sounds like a nice ideal, in general it is difficult to know which
pathologies might be encountered (e.g. ambiguous density in the binding site;
twinning; modelling difficulties around a symmetry axis; multiple
conformations; semi-disorder; post-translational chemical modifications;
radiation damage… the list goes on). It's completely acceptable for someone
encountering a problem for the first time to explore what tools are available
to guide any decision-making, in the hope of achieving the best model possible.
A typical user cannot be expected to outline a strategy for every eventuality a
priori - that sounds more like the design of an automated pipeline, not advice
that users should be expected follow.

In summary, it's unadvisable to put all eggs in one basket (of one type of map,
Polder or otherwise). If an experienced user likes a particular tool because
it's worked well for them in the past, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't try
other tools now (in this case: view other types of maps) the next time they
encounter a problem. Especially given that tools in our field are still very
much evolving over time. Different approaches may have more value and provide
more insight in different circumstances.

Best regards,
Rob