We use aquarium gravel for this purpose. It does not have the fine dust-like particles that normal construction gravel might.

On 12/4/20 11:42 AM, Nukri Sanishvili wrote:
Hi John,
I think I know what might have happened:
Many of the MX beamlines at the APS use some sort of filler in the containers where the LN2 is dumped. If I remember correctly, one of the beamlines is using fine gravel for this purpose. Also, it is required that before shipping, the dewars are emptied - i.e. don't contain liquid. Now, imagine somebody dumping the liquid into the grave-filled container without removing the blue cap and without holding the dewar in the air - i.e. the top of the dewar with the cap on is slightly buried into the gravel. Upon straightening the dewar up, the blue cap would scoop up a little bit of the gravel. Distribution of the pebbles on your picture is also noteworthy. It suggests the side where the pebbles are was the side dipped into the gravel.
You might want to discuss this with your beamline host.
Best,
Nukri