>    they can maintain an advantage through several routes - they can
> publish in patents (so people can see what they’ve done, but not legally
> implement it )

In Europe and I think some other countries, inventions can only be patented
if they have *industrial applicability.*

In any case, academics all over the world tend to ignore them.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 12:18 PM Harry Powell - CCP4BB <
0000193323b1e616-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Actually, since Deep Mind is a commercial organization (funded by
> shareholders and people who buy their services), I don’t think they are
> subject to the same rules as academia as regards making their source code
> public. It would be very nice if they would (could?) make their code
> public, but I don’t see any obligation to do so. Their responsibility is
> primarily to their shareholders (you can argue the rights and wrongs of
> that until the cows come home).
>
> Commercially, they can maintain an advantage through several routes - they
> can publish in patents (so people can see what they’ve done, but not
> legally implement it without a licence), they can keep it all confidential
> and hope that no-one manages to reverse engineer and implement it (at the
> risk of someone else publishing the details and removing their advantage),
> they can publish something that is honest but just misleading enough (or
> lacking in detail) to throw people off the scent, or…
>
> If they can provoke other developers to work out where they have gone
> wrong and produce something that competes with AlphaFold2, that would be
> great. If they can provide something like a web service that allows users
> to run their method, that would be great too, but the important thing is
> (that unless they had prior knowledge of the structures in CASP14) they’ve
> done something that no-one else has managed to do as well in spite of years
> of trying.
>
> Just my two ha’porth.
>
> Harry
>
> > On 9 Dec 2020, at 10:36, Hughes, Jonathan <
> jon.hug...@bot3.bio.uni-giessen.de> wrote:
> >
> > i think the answer to all these doubts and questions is quite simple:
> the AlphaFold2 people must make all details of their methods public (source
> code) and, as would probably be necessary, open their system for inspection
> and use by independent experts. isn't that what peer review and
> reproducibility are all about? those rules date from the time before every
> tom, dick and henriette could publicize anything they like inside their own
> zuckerberg bubble. my opinion is that this is a virtual infectious disease
> that will cause humanity far bigger problems than corona ever will – i just
> hope i'm wrong!
> >
> > best
> >
> > jon

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Patrick Shaw Stewart, Peter Baldock, Stefan Kolek

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36