Hi,

We recently solved a structure where two citrate molecules from the
crystallisation condition are bound to the protein. They are nicely defined in
the electron density. There is some difference density between the two citrates
that looks like a water molecule:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hxyty5f7udlk6q/Screenshot%202021-02-26%20at%2010.43.13.png?dl=0

So, we have built a water molecule into the difference density. The “water” has
a roughly tetrahedral coordination sphere with two H-bond donors and two H-bond
acceptors around it, but the distances are too short (around 1.8 Å):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pgxlvt72hngjty/Screenshot%202021-02-26%20at%2010.38.44.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcqteu5ibu265lo/Screenshot%202021-02-26%20at%2010.41.22.png?dl=0

We have thought about sodium ions. But looking at citrate structures in the
CSD, I found that the distances are also too short for sodium.
If anybody has an idea what might sit between these two citrate molecules,
please let me know!
I am of course happy to give any further information.

Cheers,
Gregor

-----
PD Dr. Gregor Hagelueken