Hi Saurabh,

I have also encountered a similar problem. Sometimes, though your protein
looks pure in size exclusion chromatography, but actually is not very pure
and may contain traces of partially unfolded form or some transient
oligomeric forms. In such a case, your size exclusion profile would be very
broad and if such impurities remain within, it would affect the packing of
crystal resulting in poor diffraction.

What I have done to get rid of it is, I tried mild heating at 42 degrees C
for 5 min, spin down the protein at very high speed, take out the
supernatant and straight away go for crystallization. If by any chance your
protein has some thermal stability, you could also, try mild heating before
crystallization. This removes the trace contaminants and makes your sample
more homogenous.

Alternatively, if your protein sequence has long disorder regions
internally, then you could try in-situ proteolysis also. Using a protease
at a very low concentration in your crystallization drop would chop off the
disordered loops in your protein, which would favor a better packing.

Also, you can try slightly altering the length of your construct, wherein
if the ends are disordered or highly charged, you can trim those regions
from your construct to get a more stable and homogenous sample.

Another thing I noticed is your two conditions have PEG in them. For those
conditions sometimes a low concentration (20-25%) of  PEG 400 works best as
a cryoprotectant. You could try using that as well.

I wish you all the best with your trials.

Best
Ashish Kumar