Dear Eleanor,

Thanks for pointing out that CCP4 FreeRflag selects the test set in the highest
possible symmetry for the crystal class! I didn't know that.

The following sentences (which are somewhat difficult to understand for me) in
https://www.ccp4.ac.uk/html/freerflag.html appear to document that:
"The FreeR_flag is randomly and uniformly distributed reflexion-by-reflexion,
but, additionally, if the keyword NOSYM is not set, all reflections that are
equivalent by the symmetry of the point group of the twin lattice (assuming the
data is twinned), obtain the same flag. This includes both the possibility of
merohedral and pseudomerohedral twinning. In the latter case, the obliquity
parameter can be set using the keyword OBL."

I wonder since which CCP4 version (or date) this is the default behaviour.

best wishes,
Kay