Hi Domen,
I have been using HP Probook 440 G5 (i7 and Nvidia MX150) for two years.
Generally, I was not impressed by laptops with i7 processors - they simply
can't dissipate heat generated by CPU and throttle frequency down to
0.8-1.5 GHz - the way MacBooks Pro with i9 processors did. The same issue
applies to mobile GPUs - they are OK to test some ideas or prepare MD
systems but are not powerful enough for production runs. Dualboot worked
nicely, everything worked fine on Ubuntu 18.04, including GPU simulations.
Since last year I switched to Dell Latitude 5400 with i5 and built-in
video. It is a light, sturdy laptop with a good battery and enough
computing power for simple tasks, e.g.: manual inspection in coot, Table 1
generation, preparation of MD system. I use it in dualboot mode for Win10
and Xubuntu 20.04 LTS. Dual boot setup was a bit tricky due to BitLocker
and SafeBoot but doable. I also installed Windows 7 under Xubuntu in
virtual machine (qemu) for Office365 and it worked nice and smoothly. For
computationally demanding tasks, I copy files from laptop to laboratory
server (equipped with Xeon, ECC memory and RTX2080) over SSH and submit
jobs remotely.

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Evgenii

ср, 13 февр. 2019 г. в 15:09, Domen Zafred <zafred.c...@gmail.com>:

> Dear CCP4 community,
>
> My 8-year-old Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10 is waving goodbye and I would
> ask for some help on this bulletin as buying/setting up a new workstation
> is common trouble in our community.
> Has anyone recently set up a laptop for structural work with all the MD,
> docking, etc. *in silico *simulations? Is dual boot Linux/Win still a
> thing, or do you rather run Windows virtually (which VM software)? Are
> there any known issues with Nvidia Quadro P series GPUs or Intel i5&i7
> processors? Has anyone tried Xeon/ECC on a laptop? Does Ubuntu LTS still
> win the hearts of non-enthusiasts?
>
> Any successfully tested laptops (with names and/or listed configuration)
> are very welcome and any answers that include fruits or hamburger names may
> be kindly avoided :)
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Domen

Evgenii Osipov