Maybe a crazy idea, but couldn't one use various model/geometry
validation tools to figure out some of those ambiguities? As a test
one could take a very good 1.7A structure and do some random ASN->ASP,
THR->VAL etc mutations followed by refinement (including
hydrogens). Wouldn't some validation tool pick up unfavourable
conformations, poor rotamers and/or hydrogen clashes and poor
H-networks (compared to the initial, correct sequence)?

Maybe there is some kind of "fingerprint" in validation results for
such incorrect residue assignments that can distinguish correct from
incorrect sequences ... Or put another way, if model validation can
not pick up such sequence errors: should we be worried about the
reliability of our validation criteria?

A large scale re-refinement of deposited structures with (1) the
current/correct sequence and (2) those ASN/ASP, THR/VAL etc ambiguities
artificially introduced, could provide a clever algorithm (AI?) with
the data basis to figure out those "fingerprints". Maybe even for the
ASN/GLN/HIS side-chain orientations when the sequence is actually
correct.

Cheers

Clemens