This (.coot-preferences) is where the key bindings script should be installed to (*). Not sure why it didnt happen in your case. I assume some permission issue. Difficult to say from your description. Anyway, good that it works now.

(*) which actually resides in %COOT_HOME% which by default is your coot installation directory i.e. (default) C:\WinCoot. This is defined in wincoot.bat. Maybe your admin has changed things there...