At 01:01 PM 9/16/2015, Fred Cisin wrote:
>But, those still require a gullibility error on the part of the user, don't
>they?  Do the ads actually load and run the ransomware, or just present the
>fraudulent upgrade offer to bring it in?

The bad guys are slipping silent-install vulnerability exploits into
the HTML of ads they place through ad networks.  No user error or
trickery involved.  You never see it coming.  You visit a reputable
site, but can you trust their ad network and all its subcontractors
and all their sub-ad-networks?

As to why your antivirus didn't see it... there's always a few days
before the latest infection mechanisms are documented and added to
the AV updates.

As you say, your backup needs to be effectively off-line, not
on a visible writable filesystem, and you need to detect when
files have changed and keep previous versions within a reasonable
window of detection.  Few residential and small-business
networks have anything like that.  Most write simple backups
to attached or network storage.  Cloud-based backup is nice,
and slow upload speeds throttle the damage, but how many cloud-based
small-business backups can recover N previous versions of changed files?

When I first heard about Cryptolocker, I wanted to give up consulting
and find a different career.

- John