On 10/27/2015 10:58 AM, Guy Sotomayor wrote:

Another alternative that I’ve used prior to expanding foam packages
is to use foam padding.  Again you want to fill up *all* the space so
that the item can’t move.

I like to use extruded polystyrene insulation panels. Here it's available from most home improvement stores in 8' x 2' or 4' sizes and up to 2" thick. Basically score-and-snap and very tough stuff--not given to making "crumbs" either. I build a "box within a box" for heavy items and firmly brace whatever I'm sending so that neither it, nor any component parts can move in transit. Double-walled corrugated cardboard, as mentioned reinforced, if necessary by 1/4" plywood.

I suspect that polyiso insulation board would work as well, but I've never tried it.

--Chuck