On 2015-12-07 20:25, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
On 6 December 2015 at 13:24, Mark G. Thomas <m...@misty.com> wrote:
As much as I love old CPUs, I've lost my patience with hard disk drives.
I've been using AztecMonster (search ebay) CF-SCSI adapters, with several-GB
CF cards instead of spinning disks. The KA660 and several PDP-11/83s
here run reliably from CF storage. I see now there are SCSI2SD cards for
half the price of the AztecMonster CF adapters I've been using. These
might be an alternative, if they play okay with whatever q-bus SCSI
controller you find. Installing from SCSI CDROM and using flash
storage is definitely the way to go if you can get the parts.

That's great news to hear that the AztecMonster works on QBUS PDP-11s.
I now know exactly what my future plans are...

But I have a "random" question for those here. I know some of the QBUS
(and UNIBUS) SCSI controllers can act both as an MSCP and TMSCP
controller. (CMD CQD-220A/TM for one example.) And I know that several
of the PDP-11 operating systems install from tape, and can install
from TMSCP tape (hello RSTS/E). What I'd like to know is: Is there
anything out there that can emulate a SCSI tape device on a CF card/SD
card/USB stick/what-have-you?

I think all (modern PDP-11) OSes can install from TMSCP tapes. RSTS/E is more picky than some others, though, if I remember right...

As for your actual question, that is outside the scope of the PDP-11. You are asking if there is some SCSI storage, that physically looks like a CF card (or so), but logically on the SCSI bus looks like a tape.

Hooking that to a PDP-11 or an x86-64 wouldn't make any difference.

        Johnny

email: b...@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books