On 2015-12-08 17:02, Paul Koning wrote:

On 2015-12-07 20:36, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
On 7 December 2015 at 14:29, Johnny Billquist <b...@update.uu.se> wrote:
I think all (modern PDP-11) OSes can install from TMSCP tapes. RSTS/E is
more picky than some others, though, if I remember right...

Yes, RSTS/E installs from TMSCP just fine (as can RSX-11/M+); I know
that in simh you can bring up Ultrix-11 3.1 only on TMSCP
(specifically a TK50), at least if you want all of the packages to
install. I've installed RSTS/E 10.1-L from MASSBUS, TS11, TM11, and
TMSCP in my various experimentation with emulation, it really doesn't
care what the tape is as long as your SYSGEN device is consistent.

One detail on "it doesn't care what the tape is": RSTS kits on 1/2 inch tape
come in 800 and 1600 bpi versions.  They have different boot blocks, each of them
designed to work with all tape drives/controllers supported on RSTS that support the
density in question.  For example, the 1600 bpi kit doesn't boot on a TM11 controller,
and the 800 bpi kit won't boot on a TMSCP controller.  This matters if you try to boot
one in an emulator where physical tape density doens't have any meaning.

Unsubscribed from cctalk now, so I'm not sure if this will get through or not.

The RSX installation tape should boot from all tape devices, no matter what density. The disk boot blocks are somewhat more specific. MSCP sits together with massbus and RK06/RK07. RK05, RL01/02, RP02/03 as well as P/OS drivers are separate boot blocks. Of those, only the RL02 is actually supported by M+. So in practice, you only see one of two disk boot blocks around for M+. 11M use pretty much anything, I'd think.

        Johnny