On 01/28/2016 05:22 PM, Tothwolf wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016, Chuck Guzis wrote:

Windows 98 worked fine with a 1.4GHz Tualatin Pentium III (socket 370)
and i815e chipset. It also worked just fine on a Pentium 4 and I suspect
would work with a Pentium D or Core Duo using only one CPU core.

I didn't mention that I've got 98SE running on an 820 chipset (RIMM/RDRAM is silly cheap now) with a Tuallie 1.4GHz in a Powerleap slocket. It doesn't much agree with the Crystal CS4622 audio, but perhaps that's just a matter of finding the right driver.

Windows 98 was supposed to support a maximum of 2GB of memory, however
it has a bug in the Vcache driver which causes problems unless you limit
the memory it can use to 1 or 1.5GB.

Exactly what I've done with 440GX system. Using a different XMS driver, I keep a 1GB RAMdisk there.

On faster, more modern systems, I use VirtualBox. Just not worth the extra trouble finding drivers--but I suspect 98SE will run on P4 systems as well.

--Chuck