On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 23:22:04 +0100, Dennis Boone <d...@msu.edu> wrote:

The RF72 disk is a 1GB DSSI drive, and I think it's supported by the
base /400 machine.  Once you have a working CPU, you can actually do
some testing on this disk drive with just the VAX console firmware,
because it's intelligent, and you can connect to it via a maintenance
protocol and give it commands.

I've talked to it and run the diags; looks good. It is incredibly noisy though with its intermittent recalibration grind. Note that the console seems to do fine with the failed B-cache... until you boot.

After formatting the RD54 using the nearby VS2000, the way to get this
one online is probably to netboot it from the SimH VMS instance
described above.  However, is the RD54 unformatted, or just empty of
data?  It's _in_ a VS3200, after all.

I retrofitted the RD54, the VS was originally diskless. I had to run a cable to the I/O bulkhead from the controller, so apparently it never had a disk and may have indeed netbooted from a cluster node. I have no idea what's on that disk, and the neither did the previous owner. BOOT definitely fails, and the VS3200 console seems to lack any way of testing it.

--GT

--
"END OF LINE" [MCP, 1982]
"... nowhere in the standards is it specified that 'programs that use a lot of memory may randomly crash at any time for no apparent reason'" [Stackoverflow forum, 2012]