On 16.03.2016 09:12, Christian Corti wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016, Paul Koning wrote:
From the various comments, it sounds like NiMH is a useable substitute. On the
other hand, NiCd batteries are still readily available.

Yes, but NiCd cells really don't like being charged only and never discharged. And they
tend to crystallise quite badly with age and "misuse"; best examples are 3.6V
NiCd battery packs as CMOS battery on many mainboards.

Christian

 Additionally the NiCd never keep charge, if , like me, the drives  are only
fired up once a year...

I am thinking of just adding some wiring to an external battery.

Jos