> On Jun 20, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 20, 2016, at 3:35 PM, Swift Griggs <swiftgri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In my recent studies of electronics (I'm a noob for all practical
>> purposes) I keep seeing folks refer to Verilog almost as a verb. I read
>> about it in Wikipedia and it sounds pretty interesting. It's basically
>> described as a coding scheme for electronics, similar to programming but
>> with extras like signal strength and propagation included. Hey, cool!
>
> Verilog and VHDL are two "hardware description languages".  You can think of
> them as programming languages to describe hardware behavior.  Another way to
> look at them is as languages designed to let you talk easily about lots of
> things that happen at the same time -- which is what happens in hardware.

I forgot to mention: at least for VHDL, there's an open source simulator.  In
other words, a program that accepts VHDL input and lets you "run" the simulated
hardware.  You can feed it inputs in various ways, and observe its behavior --
for example as waveform traces on a waveform display, like an oscilloscope.
Look for GHDL.  It's a GCC front end; it takes your VHDL code and compiles it,
then it's linked with a support library to make an executable program.  Since
it's GCC based you can do neat things, like run it on various hardware
platforms.  Or link in C functions to do stuff, like simulate external
peripherals connected to your hardware model.

I haven't looked for open source Verilog simulators.