On 7/21/2016 9:34 PM, Guy Sotomayor Jr wrote:

On Jul 21, 2016, at 6:53 PM, ben <bfranc...@jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:

On 7/20/2016 10:42 AM, Pete Turnbull wrote:
On 20/07/2016 16:44, Paul Koning wrote:

It is true that a few RISC architectures are not very scrutable.
Itanium is a notorious example, as are some VLIW machines.  But many
RISC machines are much more sane.  MIPS and ARM certainly are no
problem for any competent assembly language programmer.

Indeed.  I've written a modest amount of assembly language code for
MIPS, and a bit more for ARM, and I didn't find either at all
inscrutable.  Yes, be aware of pipelining and branches and so on, but
it's not hard.

But alas , they seem to change cache and pipeline with every cpu
starting with 386. How can one write effective programs for large
data memory access, with out this knowledge?

You read the Intel Optimization Guide.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/64-ia-32-architectures-optimization-manual.html

TTFN - Guy

A read and cuss item I see. Thank you, but it seems it is still big $$$
for good compiler to follow the ever changing rules.
Ben.