On 9/6/2016 9:51 AM, Jason Howe wrote:
On 09/06/2016 04:31 AM, Rob Jarratt wrote:

Some of us find them useful or interesting.

I agree. The volume of these eBay emails is not high. It would be another matter if there were really a lot of these emails, but as it is I find them useful/interesting.
Same here. I don't troll ebay regularly and only have a couple very specific saved searches. Some pretty interested stuff comes up on ebay occasionally which I might not have seen otherswise.

Just curious -- this stuff that's come up, that you might not have seen otherwise, how often was it anything really needed? How often have you bought any of it?

I too admit to having found some of these ebay postings to be interesting. But in the end, they were just distractions from what was more important to me: the scores of electronics projects I've already got ... purchased almost entirely from... you got it -- eBay. All of which were found without the assistance of extra postings outside of ebay.

I suppose I'm making a larger point, that if you didn't try to find it yourself, maybe you didn't really need it to begin with. Maybe it's better for your wallet that you never saw it to begin with. Countless interesting things happen every day that we simply can't become aware of. It's not necessary see or purchase every single interesting thing, nor possible to become aware of every single interesting thing or event in a day.

Over-distraction and over-consumption is definitely a growing bane of the current world.

So that's all I'm saying: re-advertising here what is already advertised and readily found on ebay itself (if you are realistic and understand that you might not be able to find every single instance of something that interests you nor is it necessary that you do so) is distracting.

On the other hand, if someone had some magical powers of discovery on ebay, and posted things that nobody else could possibly find, that'd be cool.

- J.