But smaller than the Crays of the era.
If it doesn't run on 400Hz, it's a 'mini' supercomputer.

Hmmm I knew the earlier Crays often had motor generator setups and such but I thoght that was just for power filtering and maybe flywheels for ups setups. Didn't know they were 400hz! Odd!

CHM was really into collecting this sort of iron in the late 90's
as they were all getting scrapped.

Don't know that person off the top of my head. I owned a Maspar MP2 at one point (small!) and have owned some Cray J90 series (heavy.) I still think large SGIs are the friendly "supercomputer." In my travels there is a guy named James who has/had a verrrrry nice Cray collection. Haven't talked to him in a few years though hope he is doing well. He had some of the 6000 pounders IIRC.

--
Ethan O'Toole