On 11/30/16 11:48 AM, Brad H wrote:

I'm curious.. what do people do with these things?  I've seen videos
of some in large racks being used to play music, etc.  The rack ones
seem like a a pretty substantial investment in space for something
that doesnt (or does it?) have much practical use today.
Define practical use?

Most still can or do produce useful work. After all programming in C or other language on a PDP-11 or PC is about all the same things. One difference is the PDP-11 is really running unix. IF anything its no different than using an arduino to blink a light.

What I do:
Use them to run old software that still does useful work.

Let me correct that....

Use them to run well tested and debugged old software that still does useful work.

Amuse myself, enjoy the hardware I can fully understand down to the gate level. Marvel that unlike every PC I've had that crapped after a few years these old machines
just keep doing their thing.

The above is significant as most of the machine I have were obtained when they were still current or relevant and they were fully functional. So maintenance has been minimal to none.
There are a few that I built myself back in the mid to late 70s as well.

Allison