On 3/15/2017 5:02 PM, Warner Losh via cctalk wrote:
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Toby Thain via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
On 2017-03-15 5:17 PM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk wrote:

The whole idea of an "operating system"  seems to have morphed into the
notion of a user interface.

To my way of thinking,t he various flavors of Linux are really a user
interface build on a single operating system.

Has anybody else noticed that the meaning of "portable code" seems to have
morphed into "can be built on two or three different flavours of Linux"?

1983. All the world's a VAX.

Running BSD

1993. No sorry, all the world's a SPARC.

Running Solaris

2013. Oops, no, all the world's an x86.

Running Linux

I'm waiting for the rise of cell phones to make it

202x All the world's an ARM running Android

Warner

 Raspberry Pi seems to be the TREND with embedded things.

 I bring you THE PDP 8/I KIT. 1 PI with Front Panel.
 http://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence

And for you OLD PEOPLE you GET MEL's Computer.

http://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence
No Vacuum tubes have been harmed in this FPGA replica of the
LPG-30 - Desk Optional.

well 6502 people, this is your DAY.
MOnSter Cpu ... discreet transistors.
http://monster6502.com/