From: cctalk [cctalk-boun...@classiccmp.org] on behalf of Paul Koning via
cctalk [cctalk@classiccmp.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:09 AM
To: Liam Proven; General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: Re: Pair of Twiggys

> On Mar 22, 2017, at 10:04 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
> I'm not aware of any significant amount of GPL code in either. Linux
> has a regrettable history of nicking BSD-licensed code and slapping
> the GPL on it, but not the other way round, AFAIK.

I think taking BSD code and releasing a copy under GPL is technically
permitted, though silly because the original BSD release would still apply so
the GPL virus doesn't stick.  Of course, if you modify the original and license
those mods under GPL, that makes a difference, that limits access to the mods
(but only the mods).

As long as they retain the original Copyright notice as required by that
Copyright
which seems to me to be a direct conflict if you then tried to put the GPL in
there
too.

bill