On 2017-03-20 11:50 PM, Pete Lancashire via cctalk wrote:
Host is a HP 9000/382

Copied the orig drive using a linux box, adaptec 2940N and good old dd

Then swapped drives, a unused 9 GB 80 pin with a Chinese 80 to 50
adapter.

Did have to issue a spin up command and then copied the data to this drive
again with dd.

Powered all off, added a motor start jumper to the adapter and put it on the
9000/382. Motor will not start, added a jumper right on the drive, no spin.

so .. any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or just try a different drive ?

-pete
Further to my previous reply, did you use the same SCA to 50 pin adapter? If so then that would suggest the adapter is OK. If you are jumpering the drive to spin on power then it should start up as soon as power is applied, the pins on the SCA connector that affect motor operation are 38 RMT_START and 78 DLYD_START both should be left open for spin on power. If RMT_START is grounded motor will only start on command if DLD_START is grounded motor start will be delayed 12 seconds X SCSI ID. Does the drive spin if it is not connected to the SCSI bus? I suppose it is also possible that the drive does not support "spin on power" so again knowing what drive model you are using would be helpful.

Paul.