> From: Dave Wade

    >> All CPU's were upgradable on site to any other model. There wasn't
    >> really any difference between the models

Yes and no, is my impression. I got the impression from my recent reading
that the addition of the Appending Unit used to create the Multics segmented
memory meant changes throughout the CPU, so that in any line (Multics/GCOS) a
CPU could be field upgraded, but one couldn't upgrade from one line to the
other.

    >> Later models also had virtual memory which I think used the MULTICs
    >> hardware....

No, I think GCOS had it's own. (The Multics one was complex, a lot more than
GCOS needed.)

    >> so whilst its possible to say a panel is not from a multics box, I
    >> don't think its possible to say exactly which model it came from, and
    >> indeed as the CPU was upgradable the same panel could have been on
    >> multiple models

Good point.

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/honeywell/dps-8/58009853_DPS8_46_70_Reference_Man_Sep82.pdf
    > these are from the original hardware GE600/6000/L66/DPS300 machines.
    > The DPS8 had a redesigned panel...

Thanks for that pointer! I don't know why I hadn't thought of looking for
Honeywell CPU manuals, that should have been obvious!!

Anyway,I found several with useful bits, especially this one:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/honeywell/multics/AM81-04_maintPrcds_Nov86.pdf

which does illustrate a number of the panels. From which it's pretty
conclusive that these aren't Multics CPU panels (sigh).

These two:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/honeywell/multics/GB61-01B_OperatorsGde_Dec87.pdf

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/honeywell/multics/_58009997-040_MULTICS_Differences_Manual_DPS_8-70M_Aug83.pdf

are also interesting in filling in the history.

        Noel