On 2017-08-04 13:17, David Bridgham via cctalk wrote:

I don't think I'm up to going with a higher-end FPGA and trying to
implement SATA even though in many ways I think that's the right
answer.  If there's a SATA PHY chip, that's a maybe.

Forget about SATA, even if some people like it here;-)

If I would do it again, it would be USB only with some sd-card slots.
Why USB? Because then you can attach whatever you want, and you
have to write the USB stack only once, and then just improve.
And, USB with 480MHz is fast enough for the 3mbyte/s transfers on the QBUS/UNIBUS ...

And if you are really crazy or adventurous, put M2 modules on board ;-)