(cctalk@classiccmp.org)
> <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> Subject: DECstation 220. Another Impasse
>
> I have reached another impasse in my attempts to get my DECstation 220 to
> work. I have posted the details on my blog here: https://robs-old-
> computers.com/2017/08/13/decstation-220-update/
>
> If anyone has any suggestions I would be interested to hear them.

I have looked at this problem a little more. I have two motherboards,
neither of which work, but one at least produces a corrupted video pattern.
The one that works best appears not to be writing to the video memory. When
I look at the EMEM pin on the Paradise PVGA1A chip I can see a signal but
the scope shows a trace that is very faint. When I look at the same pin on
the other motherboard, I get a nice clear bright trace on the scope, using
all the same settings on the scope. This pin is driven by a non-inverting
buffer (74LS126). The input side of the buffer is tied to 0V, the enable
signal comes from a custom gate array. Comparing the buffer's enable signal
on the two boards I see the same dimming effect on the board with the
corrupted video pattern, and no dimming on the other board.

I have checked the other pins on both the buffer and the gate array and I
don't see anything suspicious.

I am thinking of speculatively replacing the 74LS126 because I can go and
buy replacement parts for it, I can't replace the gate array (although I
could conceivably swap the part on the two boards).

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the best course of action?

Thanks

Rob